LF: Re: Bandpass filter design

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Bandpass filter design
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:00:47 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1281029607; bh=YYlX0bzqpdoqHmVvyp9DsSC9b0UDOdczfsZwPcUX4+w=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=YUqDcYm487YfVTpwDkV+b/CdOan9aMZAOg1U+P2StuwK+HGr0xBfQcAMQJJVokcq1MgOt3+yx2ZKToslSNakRT/1KNwBgyLUBOCdQ6JEdvH6GoVCax3NeJPJiMLrTxKUOm/mFbcMQSKpMhDQXBer/abjvc8iULsaaU+56FGGrLY=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=Xz3PH4jWHYro5Jygkc+dj5yd794B6axZWNmuXRoQeIJ21Eybjp4e5gZSJOAbiP2WiFSxb7VYbOCMiUXuf0RwZdvls7dLEDamgSBqGpbAkeRjsrDmR7oyA1UjvoqY301wQvot2/kJ+Q1UDwtKTdZb7hc4cKwEpfIBK1sTcnt1oJc= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stephan....why do you think you need a narrow filter at 12kHz?? Why not
let the sound card sort it out? Provided you have killed the image (113kHz)
there should not be a problem. If you use a narrow passive filter you risk
rapid phase changes near the wanted frequency. This is probably not a good
idea. I suspect that a fairly "benign" low pass filter (Butterworth??) just
above 12Khz (to aid the anti-alias filtering) and another Butterworth to
remove any 50Hz and low harmonics of that say below 1kHz. this leaves a
fairly flat pass-band with a slowly changing phase response.

What may be more important may be getting a good low noise amp to feed the
sound-card. It is worth a look at some of the softrock workand circuits
here. Also Paul did some work on this some time back. Jim may have some more
helpful ideas in this area. I have not found conventional filtering in front
of an FFT does a lot of good and it certainly has the potential to "muddy"
things up.

Alan G3NYK