LF: Re: Progress with earth electrode tests on 136kHz: 4.6kms with 250mW

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Progress with earth electrode tests on 136kHz: 4.6kms with 250mW from PA.
From: Mike-WE0H <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:47:58 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

250mw is radiating that well, crank it up to a hundred or so watts and I am thinking it might make it to Mal's QTH...

Mike-WE0H

Roger L wrote:
Today I tried some more experiments with my 20m spaced earth electrode "antenna" and small beacon TX on 136.93kHz (I think this is a more accurate frequency). I switched over to QRSS3 and took the (deaf on 136kHz) FT817, E-field probe and PC out for a ride in the car to see where copy stopped. Firstly, I stopped in a National Trust car park 1.5km from home - solid copy on QRSS3 when holding the E-field probe box as high as possible above the car roof. Then I drove on to a spot *4.6km* from home (Swaffham Bulbeck) and copy was again achieved, albeit not as strongly. I was prevented from doing further tests as the coax inner from the E-field probe to the FT817 came apart, so I had to return home.

So, I'm certainly getting a signal radiated beyond the near field. I've no other LF-HF antennas up (just the VHF/UHF vertical which was disconnected), so there is no coupling into other antennas. In the coming days I'd like to see the directionality of the "antenna" by looking for signal levels with the QRSS3 beacon at all compass points some 4-5kms away from the QTH.

In the meantime, if anyone near Burwell, Cambs wants to look for the QRSS3 signal near 136.93kHz I'll leave it running until about 8pm tonight when I have to switch off as my grandson is sleeping in the shack bedroom. Any reports would be amazing.

73s
Roger G3XBM

--
http://g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/