Re: LF: Progress with earth electrode tests on 136kHz: 4.6kms with 250mW

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Progress with earth electrode tests on 136kHz: 4.6kms with 250mW from PA.
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:24:24 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger,

Have you already checked how your earth antenna acts as a RX antenna? Maybe you have read my last mails in which i have discussed measurements of the effictive area of my earth antenna. Most probably there are some military VLF transmitters that you can receive! That could become a way for you as well, checking the RX performance on VLF or LF. This might help you to improve your system.
Is there a way for you to cross the road with a small wire? You could install a ground electrode in some 100m distance and take a walk each evening rolling out a tiny wire.
Indeed this are inspiring experiments and i like the effort as well, knowing that it will never be so effective as a high vertical antenna.

For tomorrow i have prepared 3 grabber windows on my inofficial 2nd grabber site at http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber2.html
First you see the standard 8,97 kHz window, the 2nd window is for 7,97 kHz and the 3rd is for 6,97 kHz. Tomorrow to the time of minimum QRN (arround 7...10 UTC) i will transmit there with about 50...70 watts, trying to reach my grabber in 5 km distance. You know it worked on 8,97 but i want to check how the earth antenna behaves on lower frequencies. Therefore, i have taken my big 600W PA that works without a transformer (and thus no saturation of any ferrite cores when going down to DC ;-) ) down to wavelengths up to infinity ;-) I plan just to send a "A" in DFCW-600 to need a minimum of time but secure ID since the QRN changes rapidly as we know.

One day we will have a earth mode QSO, Roger, isn't it? ;-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC