Re: LF: RE: DLF passive received with earth antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: DLF passive received with earth antenna
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:02:37 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Rik, VLF,

Yesterday i have measured the receiving voltage of DHO38 on my earth antenna. I used an impedance converter with an OP AMP, so the input impedance can be seen as infinity. I got a signal level of -20 dB. Markus/DF6NM calculated/measured that i have to add 11 dB when comparing the broader MSK signal to a narrow reference level of my VFO (I set SpecLab to a 3 Hz FFT when recording the DHO level). My VFO causes a level of -9 dB in SpecLab when it (the VFO) is set to 44 mVp.

So, we have a single turn loop and measure a level of 44 mVp at 23,4 kHz. The distance between TX and RX is 411 km and the angle between TX and the antenna optimum is 3 deg (so one has to add a factor 0,998 => negligible). The problem is that i do not know the ERP but maybe one can normalize it to the ERP. Does anybody have an idea of the ERP of DHO38?

Markus meant i can make a reference measurement with a small loop antenna with a known area A. I will do this in some days. Maybe it is a more accurat measurement since propagation effects are compensated that way.

Rik (or others), how would you estimate the effective antenna area of the loop for that frequency with the given parameters?

Sadly the earth antenna is orientated to Markus with its minimum, so i cannot do any test with Markus' RX. BUT, Michael Oexner, one of those who have received my signal of the kite antenna, is in a distance of about 50 km. The angle is abt 35 deg ( so a factor of 0,8). This week i will increase the antenna length to about 500m. With this configuration i want to try to reach a new record in "earth mode DX", currently 10km as written in Roger's list.

An important information is achieved when estimating / calculating the effective antenna area: One can see if an increase of the wire length ( or better said: the distance between the ground electrodes) results in an improvement of this area with the power 2. When doubling the distance between the electrodes results only in a liear improvement of the loop area, the soil conductivity seems to be higher below the added wire. So it would make more sense to add another wire on the other electrode, on the top of the mountain. Then, the antenna can be used as a "short" dipole as well. Maybe for 137 kHz.

All this is a really interesting field. I think not only for VLF but also for LF, if soil conductivity is low enough :-)

73s, Stefan/DK7FC