VLF: RX stations in Canada and US?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: VLF: RX stations in Canada and US?
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 13:45:29 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Dear VLF,

The recent discussions shows that the band is becoming alive, not just by QRO
but also QRP stations, vy fine. So, there are more and more stations who can
receive the signals on 8,97 kHz.

What about the canadian stations? These are in the shortest distance to EU and
will become a very important factor in some months when the QRN levels
decrease. Are there already stations who permantently monitor the dreamers band
(not the whole VLF) with a suitable RX system? Means, not only copying the
ALPHAs by ear but having a SLOW QRSS/DFCW window where DFCW-600 or DFCW-6000
can be displayed. Here, it makes no sense to monitor the ALPHAs and 8,97 kHz in
e.g. 4 Hz FFT bandwith, what we need is 4 mHz! So, that one DFCW element takes
10 minutes. Another important step is to have a STABLE soundcard sample rate.
This is well performed in the latest SpecLab version. Alternatively a GPS
synchronisation  or so is necessray!

If such stations are "QRV", it would be very fine to set up a grabber so that
every one can watch the QRN/QRM situation over there and gets an impression
what could be possible, or not. It would be an important motivation factor! I
would try to take the challenge to be monitored over there one day!

This is a little early since the QRN levels are to high up to October i
estimate but the summer time is good for doing experiments and just beeing
outside :-).

My latest radiated signal was 5,4 mW and it will depend on, if i will get this
special permission for a 300m vertical (still not achieved :-( ). But i am
optimistic (you know) to have it until the autumn starts. So the radiated
signal may reach 50 mW (?).

If we think about getting 10 dB more S/N by increasing from 100m to 300m
vertical antenna, we could  first try to receive something in DFCW-6000 instead
of DFCW-600. This will just be a few pixels since transmitting a "K" would take
5 hours! But it would be a first reception, or not, and shows the S/N that is
achieved. Than, we can update our theoretical models and later it could be
tried with faster elements...

What do the canadians or US stns think about that? Any REAL interest?

Best 73, Stefan/DK7FC

<<winmail.dat>>