Re: LF: Licence / NOVs etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Licence / NOVs etc
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:51:44 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=1VTZyodyNnG+zXlyvvK/nLacPElPIW46PyiLuUf+rjQ=; b=lfbS1SzzvOgd7jsp2ZQm5+32xE0bCXdR8DJX7cYQVYvsK2vQ3inC3oWGg1K2ZNiUk3 WUDwB61bkTOp0h1zVaaNWqXiltwdEL4C3Hsszu9XZFuPVJqzaEiML/tax67Bt78lbExc yO51Pbel2JamtvaqKC7j1PyhQAtf9z5gf6NxE=
Sender: [email protected]
Brian,

The official line is, I believe, that any form of communication by electricity, wireless or whatever you call it below 9kHz does need a permit from OFCOM as such communications are covered by the Wireless Telegraphy Act and its amendments. Others may have a more informed view.

Unofficially, I am taking the view that earth-mode at 4W on sub-9kHz is unlikely to cause a problem, so I'm carrying on my tests whilst waiting for an NoV (3 months now waiting patiently).  If I decide to run 100W or more in these tests then I think I should wait for official clearance. Likewise I think others in the UK considering radiated tests using high power on 8.97kHz or thereabouts are waiting.

I'm unsure of lightbeam transmissions: clearly we don't need NoVs to shine torches, use a microwave oven or turn on the headlights, but maybe OFCOM would require it if asked, HI.

73s
Roger G3XBM