LF: Re: ROS s/ware

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: ROS s/ware
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 19:33:24 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 30 Apr 2010 at 19:03, mal hamilton wrote:

> Pete
> I see what u mean. I have checked the freq of interest and concluded
> that it is not a suitable mode for the narrow 500 kcs slot available to
> us. I wonder what is next on the appliance operators list. g3kev

For once I am afraid I agree with Mal...

ROS created quite a stir when it first appeared on HF earlier in the
year. Their first suggested working frequency on 20m put it splattering
right over the IARU beacons on 14100, which it seems the developers had
never heard of. They soon moved it.... And of course the FCC have
decreed it is not legal in the USA because it is 'spread spectrum'
which is not allowed below 220MHz.

What advantage has it over the other digital modes which have been
trialed on 500kHz? It is right that we should support these various
digital modes (but none of them turn me on at all) but we should not do
so at the danger of making the band unusable for other operators (and
QSOs...).

I am not on transmit mode at the moment, just receive.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com