Re: VLF: VK to Eu - both ways!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: VK to Eu - both ways!
From: Jean-Pierre Godet <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 16:42:40 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: [email protected]

  Dear friends, good evening !

  Hello Markus !

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Markus Vester wrote:

the Australian VLF transmitter North West Cape (NWC, 19.8 kHz) can be received regularly in Europe. This morning I had a detailed look on the
power spectrum of the MSK signal, and found interesting 21 Hz periodic ripples...
I'd be interested to see if others observe this effect as well... ...

No Markus. I'm permanently monitoring this area, more than four years now, and I did not notice this kind of ripple here (north of France). But maybe our aerials are very different ? The 19.8 kHz signal of NWC, naval communication station Harold E. Holt, Australia, as received here, is very clean, as well the 21.4 kHz NPM Lualualei, Hawaii, which is not a too bad DX too I gess.

About NWC 19.8 kHz, the signal disappear in the morning, and is coming to live again somewhere in the afternoon, slightly sooner or later according to the season. Just for fun, on last summer, I took advantage of the yearly shutdown of the 19.58 kHz GBZ Anthorn to took a "photo" of the 3-D spectogram of the 18 ==> 24 kHz zoo, that allowed a more beautiful picture of NWC Harold E. Holt. You can have a look on it on the Jean-Pierre Mere / F1AFJ site, thanks to him, which is hosting my VLF data, more exactly on :
http://jpmere.online.fr/incoming/f5yg/2009/07/NWC3d.gif
You will see NWC just emerging from the noise around 1500 UTC, then gathering strength to rush towards heaven ! The other stations are the more trivial ones haunting this somewhat secluded area, ICV Tavolara Island on 20.27 kHz, GQD Skelton on 22.1 kHz, and, higher, Rosnay (Le Blanc) HWU.

Fascinating stuff!

  Indeed !

  Friendly yours !

  J-P f5yg