LF: Re: VK to Eu - both ways!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: VK to Eu - both ways!
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:34:28 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF, Jean Pierre, Laurence,

the attached image is a false colour assembly of grabber captures above 19 kHz from the last four days. The timescale is 10 minutes per pixel from April 1, 06:00 until April 4, 14:00 UT, with midnight UT highlighted by arrowheads.Frequency resolution was 1.46 Hz. The strong red signal is GBZ Anthorn, with maxima around midday and midnight, and a very sharp sunrise minimum at 4:30. NWC is a much weaker 200 Hz band around 19.8 kHz, green to olive, with the ripple effect visible during the first half of each day. It comes out best in the GBZ sideband nulls around 19.73 and 19.83 kHz. GBZ was off for a few hours on April 1st, and the receiver was disconnected during my VLF transmit test yesterday afternoon.

I am now quite sure that the effect is real, and that the proposed explanation is correct, by the following reasons:

- the ripple pattern repeated every day in a deterministic way. It's not local interference.
- the time delay causing between the components (1 / 21 Hz) matches the geometrical path difference (14.4 Mm / c).
- the ripple is strongest between 4 and 12 UT. During this time, a large part of the long path across America is in darkness, whereas the short path across Asia is attenuated by daylight.
- the diurnal pattern shift shows a cyclic variation of phase difference. When the difference is larger (ie. long path is more delayed) the pattern shifts downwards in frequency. The largest difference occurs around 9 UT, with lower ionospheric height at noon over Asia advancing the short path, and midnight delaying the long path.
- the short path is mainly overland, while the longpath is favoured by going across two large oceans. This helps to emphasize the pattern by making the levels more comparable. On the web there are some hints about magnetically induced nonreciprocity, favouring west-to-east propagation. But I have no idea whether that could contribute significantly at this frequency.

All my observations were on the usual passive E-field antenna. I would predict that a loop would probably swap maxima and minima in the ripple, by introducing a phase inversion between the two components arriving from east and west.

I think this unusual and interesting effect is not difficult to see for anyone. All you will need is a spectrogram with narrow enough frequency resolution, and preferable some incoherent averaging to flatten the speckle from the modulation content. Of course being a bit further away from GBZ helps.

Best regards,
Markus, DF6NM