Re: LF: VE7TIL Grabber and DCF39 Monitor back online

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VE7TIL Grabber and DCF39 Monitor back online
From: Steve Dove <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 00:14:18 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Scott,

I did something like that for a while on the Grabulator, cheesing using a super-wide(?) filter to encompass all things of interest on 137.

Didn't last long.

There's a big disparity between DCF/HGA levels and detectable ham signals. Those big guys (and local Pt.5ers) wanted to drive the AGC (or saturate the receiver if off), and reducing the RF sensitivity such that they didn't ruined sensitivity for DX-ey signals. Another consideration was the pure weight of noiz within that bandwidth trying to drive things, too.

I ended up using the arrangement to capture DCF and HGA for the plotters, but had to use separate receivers for the (then) US and EU ham windows which were otherwise compromised into oblivion.

SDRs in Altoids tins work well . . .

        73

                Steve     W3EEE / 4

Scott Tilley wrote:
Hi Mike/Markus and Group

I think I found a solution that would allow for me to capture HGA22, EU Dx window, NA DX window and DCF39 on one of my RX I presently have. My TS-440s has a wide band filter that allows almost 6KHz. I'm not a fan of it as there seems to always be images in it but it seems to work fine when I set the rig to 134.630KHz USB.

This would place each area of interest at the following in the local passband:
HGA22 - 800Hz
Local PLC? data carrier thingy - 1044Hzish
EU DX - 1688Hz
NA DX - 2348Hz
DCF39 - 3400Hz

73 Scott