LF: Balun for tuned loop antenna

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Balun for tuned loop antenna
From: "Daniele Tincani" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:08:20 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all,
I'm new to the LF and just starting to play with an homebrew tuned magloop and my small portable (Tecsun PL-600).
I managed to enable (by means of the soldering iron :-)) the external antenna jack also for MF and LF on PL-600 (normally it only works in HF). Now I can connect the pick-up turn of my magloop directly to the radio but I know it would be better to try to keep it balanced by means of a balun. Here my problem: magloop simulation (with rjeloop3.exe) tells the antenna has an impedance of between 500 and 2500 ohms (on the frequencies it covers, from 280KHz up to 1000KHz). On the other hand, I don't think the receiver have a 50ohm input. In fact, it is designed typically for HF random wires and has a JFET input buffer stage that should ensure an high impedance. Given these conditions, does it still make sense to build a balun? If yes, how could it be designed in terms of number of turns (primary side and secondary side), etc.?
Many thanks for any feedback.
Reg's
Daniele