Re: LF: 9kHz without high voltage

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 9kHz without high voltage
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:19:51 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

 Graham,
I would be most interested on seeing the construction of your toroid antenna. Any pictures? I couldn't get mine to work until I had got the structure resonant and designed a matching network for it. Resonance was determined by the physical size of the coils and a home made air-spaced capacitor. Matching was achieved using two capacitors in an Amega arrangement (suggested by Prof James Corum, K1AON). Any possible coax feedline radiation was suppressed with a common-mode choke (Very important if you want to ensure it is the antenna and not the feedline that is doing the work) . From this you can tell that my antennas were single band but they exhibited a wide SWR bandwidth for such a small antenna. All experiments on 14 and 21MHz were conducted using a mobile setup so I guess the vehicle was part of the antenna system (ground). I had several long SSB QSOs with VK and South America but the sunspots were kind in 1994.

My version would be impractical for LF. I tried to get a smaller single coil version with end plates to work without success. I tried to get feed impedance figures from G2AJV without success.

I do have a copy of Prof James Corum's European patent (13/01/1982), 52 pages of it, covering every conceivable toroid structure. One thing they all have in common is that they are all resonant at the operating frequency. The USA version appeared in 9/7/1980.

Regards

Peter, G3LDO

Yes , the counter wound construction was challenged during the lecture and the concept of a mirror was introduced ... this then negated any constructional / geometric problems , by simply using the induced eddy currents in the metal plate to produce a virtual 'mirror' image of the coil ... an exact copy ... Thus the feed requirements where reduced to one end of the coil and the back plate ...

I made one based on the concept outlined during the lecture , 12 inch diameter coil , 3 inch x 3/16 pitch , resting on a 1/8 perspex plate on a 3 ft diam alloy plate resting on a plastic dust bin . , fed with a short length of 450 ribbon cable via a air spaced balum from a racal auto tuner , the results where quite odd , it basically worked on all bands from 160 to 10 , the tuner achieved a good match.

Running 150 watts , it gave good reports round Eu on 80 , 14 was very lively and a Russian found it quite funny that he was getting a 10 over 9 signal on 10 mt from a garden bin .. even at 400 > 450 watts carrier power the ae did not flash over or heat up ..how it worked ive no idea ! but the mirror concept seemed to be the missing like that no one had though of .. im sure some one at the lecture made a video of it ....

A very small 2 mtr one was also demonstrated , using 9 turns app 10 mm dial round a 10 mm former and a 100 / 75 mm disc , apparently he had used it mobile with good results. I have the idea a 6 ft back plate with a 3 ft x 6 inch coil may work on 500 .. ive yet to find the 6 ft plate ....

Very sad to see he has passed on , as its possible a lot of his later work may of been lost ?

G ..