LF: Re: Possible VLF HV problems, or not?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Possible VLF HV problems, or not?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 19:06:11 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1268161570; bh=XP7/IExi8rVZYgofoqald47svyXCN+l7pxU+MlNwFFo=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=G24WySwJs0vLClUmvkW+UKlMlbFH56EuHXBex7aYbRdLxqEezEJfHt86krOTSyP9c6Dab1Md9RHpe8kE68F/eqXLjjf1cR0lHPKA5rGiPJfo3gLMediEo0ceLqD4mGaF2yNASEau1opMvTJq/+Bjb1vUfRBVmlWP5qMwO+FBeBQ=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=PKXE3BGPbNBPcJwnvSg0gK8C3e5QMxsi5munOQUFqWy2am13SyGpwftH3ZOed4PwqHan9heMhy2T44uwnlUQW9wn+8PWhhw4e0h0bx/+wrSfCzf2LwGxeHJomfS8EHO8QPxEyjFfH6VBhE6TLLjXoXecGb7aVJBvPioVxFPSOus= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Stefan, LF Group,

Text-book discussions of professional VLF antennas suggest operating voltages limited by corona at the order of 250kV - but of course these are using much larger conductor sizes, and separation between antenna wires and other objects, than is normal with amateur antennas.

My experiences on 136k and 73k suggest that about 20kV can be sustained on a small-scale wire antenna, provide care is taken to reduce corona - I found it neccessary to fit corona rings about 150mm in diameter to the ends and sharp bends on the antenna wires, and where they attach to insulators, otherwise corona would occur at these points.

The effect of corona discharge was to produce apparent rapid, erratic changes in antenna impedance, which made tuning to resonance and matching resistance impossible. Sometimes, the antenna would work OK for some time before breakdown occured. It is often quite hard to see corona, just a faint blue glow until it sets fire to something! Sometimes I could only locate it through the hissing sound it makes. I found quite a good "corona detector" was a broadcast FM receiver, on which crackling noises would appear when breakdown was occuring. Corona can cause a lot of damage, melting or setting fire to plastic insulators, ropes, wooden objects near the antenna wire, etc., antennas suddenly falling down and so on. Several of us have experienced fire damage due to corona, so beware!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Schäfer" <[email protected]>