Re: LF: VLF_8.79 kHz

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: VLF_8.79 kHz
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:27:13 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
With the ground wave, one could reach the whole europe, i expect. But that are dreams...

Stefan/DK7FC

Stefan,

I you can manage to produce a significant ground wave signal the real advantage of 9kHz might be at distances beyond 1000km.
I played a little with GRNDWAV3 (written by G4FGQ) and the difference between 9kHz and 137kHz seems minimal below 500km (< 6dB) while it will be much more difficult to generate any ERP at 9kHz.

Just to give you an idea :
Assuming -60dB antenna efficiency (0.00001%, that is the lowest value accepted) at both TX and RX side, average terrain and 1kW TX power the RX voltage according to GRNDWAV3 is 50uV at 33km (1 wavelength), 18uV at 100km, and 1.4uV at 1000km.
But I am afraid that -60dB it quite optimistic and that -80dB would be a more acceptable value, what would reduce the RX voltages to resp. 0.5uV (33km), 0.18uV (100km) and 0.014uV (1000km)

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T