AW: LF: Loop preamp with the BF862 / optical link

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: AW: LF: Loop preamp with the BF862 / optical link
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:52:04 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Jim, Andy, Sam, Ken, Group ;-)

Excellent comments! Thank you for these explanations. I see, it is your
business.
And what i read tells me, that the optic way cannot be the wrong in principle.

Recently i even got a mail from a OM who was going qrt due to the (local) qrm
and waked up now with much interest and hope. Perhaps he will be reactivated by
the optic way? I any case, it is an interesting alternative.

As i started with the optical way i compared the TX LED with a normal
p-n-junction of a bipolar transistor (base-emitter). Since bipolar transistors
are also used in preamps (although with much less power gain, so with the need
for a pre-preamp) and there has to be find a operating point where the junction
behaves linear (with the strongest signal that can occur at the input) i
thought this is comparable to the LED. And a bipolar transistor also has its
noise figure. So i just tried and was surprised by the results.

Perhaps you could also give some practical ideas for an LF application. It's
always interesting to get some alternatives.

CU, Stefan/DK7FC