Re: LF: Loop preamp with the BF862 / optical link

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loop preamp with the BF862 / optical link
From: SAM JEWELL <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:25:44 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1265113544; bh=RCFA7B9U1vO7NJaVy5OuhKZwQDVBHiP90aec0SjIYoY=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=aculaMHXW24dfBo6Y3KcGkoJThxNrwe78SimWW0qp2bVJQL0OJxqs0GwyQ2l33eFMpYgYLTW5solmebmgAMPURNnSy9VE8B6pVorTMJtopI6OYz1nFl7aBSpjrV+T4Nksna/vgJBj7DmpP+/dhA0M5ydpHNe6hDbCEGRzHwyjtw=
Sender: [email protected]
Folks,
I think it is worth pointing out that most cable TV systems use fibre links, at least as far as the cabinet. The light (laser) is amplitude modulated with the RF carrier(s) at the cable head end or regional Centre. These carriers are usually locally generated but can also be from directly off-air if the signal to noise ratio is adequate. The modulation index can be held quite high for a single carrier, progressively reducing for multiple carriers in order to minimize intermodulation between carriers. Ultimately, with many carriers, the modulation spectrum will be noise-like. Those of you who have  worked with the old telecom carrier based systems will recognise the same characteristics.

The earliest cable (HFC) systems carried AM VSB signals in the VHF and UHF frequency range in their native transmission format with minimal distorion and added noise. Digital modulation (using QAM modulation, but still amplitude modulation of the light) came later.

From the laser (or LED) input to photodiode/PIN/APD output there will be a certain link loss and system noise figure. If the system parameters are  known, this can be modelled using e.g. AppCAD, Noisecalc. In some systems signal to noise ratio is critical. For LF systems, where there is a fairly high noise level, it may be far less critical (famous last words).
Not all fibre systems use digital modulation of the light, although in most cases it is still amplitude modulation.

I should also point out that fibre is often used to carry the RF and IF signals from the SHF rooms (at the back of the big dishes) at satellite earth stations across the site to the demodulation and signal processing buildings, in preference to using waveguide, as was done many years ago. Whilst working at BT Research Labs my team produced one of the first radio over fibre test systems for BT's Goonhilly and Madley Earth stations. These early fibre links used multimode 50/125u fibre and multimode lasers.

As I mentioned in an earlier posting, microwave and LF are just the adjacent ends of the spectrum. Not opposite ends!

73 de Sam, G4DDK