Re: LF: ERP<>EMRP

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: ERP<>EMRP
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:10:29 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Andy, Stefan,

the theoretical values are:
isotropic antenna: 0dBi / -2.15dBd (directivity = 1)
half wave dipole: 2.15dBi / 0dBd (directivity = 1.64)
short dipole: 1.76dBi / -0.39dBd (directivity = 1.5)
quarter wave vertical monopole: 5.16dBi / 3dBd (directivity 3.28)
short vertical monopole: 4.77dBi / 2.64dBd (directivity 3)
This values assume free space for the dipoles and a perfect (conductive) ground plane for the monopoles. And no losses (greenery, buildings).
For a certain area in north-east England these values are +/- 100dB

For calculating the (theoretical) EIRP one need to take the dBi values or the directivity
For calculating the (theoretical) ERP one need to take the dBd values or divide the directivity by 1.64 (there comes Stefan's 1.83 = 3/1.64)
For calculating the (theoretical) EMRP the reference is a short monopole, one need to take the dBi-4.77 or dBd-2.62 values or divide the directivity by 3.

So EIRP gives the "best" values, that's why manufacturers of inferior antennas often give dBi values on their prospects but mention just dB ;-)
An easy way to add a good 2dB to the gain.

73, Rik  ON7YD