Re: LF: Intercontinental LF waterholes

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Intercontinental LF waterholes
From: ALAN MELIA <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:27:02 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1260574022; bh=0EyIXbRQdBNZOguTsfl6pqRujDAuBSa6Axocf15Lxhw=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=zZQ0nZIuJ/2b/8SyvZci+U527xbuUC3V2/hBlSh4Nr0bedptdOliBfzEq9tEjMkT6sWIdAJRDu3OlwYRNaTi0aXgbWPrF+ErQYV8l7hUKrK+8gk/CMd8+woV1C1Joot6RB0vow2lFoTygRb9RsUNAXuHuGohYia3nwKh61nJHCU=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all, I think Markus idea is a good start but we have always made it the case
that we do not have hard and fast rules on LF because the frequency of
operation epends so much on local conditions and it is no good anyone laying
down a marker that suits his location but doesnt fit with others.

As I said Markus comment is a good guide. However.........   Gerhard raises the
point of using grabbers in your own continent for tests. This is good and
usefull to do....I have done it myself. All that you require is to think about
the long distance propagation and time your tests appropriately. For instance
US and Canadian stations will not really start to appear until about their
ground sunset (well ok, on very good days maybe a little before that) So you
could safely do "local" (same continent) tests between your sunset and the East
Coast US sunset time. They probably wont take too long and then it is unlikely
you will interfere with anyone trying. For a TA contact. Of course you "could"
do the test in daytime!! This would actually be more reliable, particularly at
present, when the daytime paths are very consistant. You obviously need a
grabber in daytime range. The old geoclock is an invaluable guide though I am
sure there are other now.

Just remember you are very strong at night in your own continent, and try to
stay out of the immediate areas where DX signal may be coming in.

We are hardly wall to wall QRM on LF and MF yet so enjoy it.

Alan G3NYK