LF: RE: Noise cancelling by using optic transmission of RX signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Noise cancelling by using optic transmission of RX signals
From: Horst Stöcker <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:01:34 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
In theory it's a good Idea which I had some weeks before without working it out.

Years before I also have made tests with FTA (free to air) optical
transmissions with a DL2CH-Transceiver and a TRX-Kit by Aatis which is quite
much simpler.
Even with that it was no problem to link between two points about a few meters.

In this case you should think about an IR-LED. Unfortunately, the Aatis
receiver has a photo transistor instead of a diode. But it should be no great
deal to modify that.

The problems with FTA optic transmission for this application are imho:
- You have to be sure, that no one can be injured by the laser beam, especially
at unattended operation.
- Think about how many hours/the beam has it's full power before becoming much
weaker.
- The optics must be kept clean. This could be a problem if the units are out
of reach.
- The units have to be mounted absolutely stable. For Example, on a swinging
fibre rod you'll never bring a laser beam exactly to the rx area.

I bet, (FTA) optical transmission just changes one problem with a few others.

But the transmission with optical cable seems interesting.

What type of cable do you suggest? I do not think, my TOS-Link cable would
stand weather/UV and mechanical conditions outside for a long time.

Horst DO1KHS
Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://produkte.web.de/go/02/