Re: LF: G3XIZ - 1000 th MF QSO

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G3XIZ - 1000 th MF QSO
From: Piotr Młynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 00:47:24 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Chris Osborn wrote:
LF

It was a red-letter day today as I achieved my 1000th QSO using 600m.
This includes 72 cross-band contacts, virtually all of which were 600m / 80m.

I personally find it sad that the present level of enthusiasm for the WSPR mode was never achieved for  hand sent Morse (CW), which after all is the mode which I call to mind when thinking of the old MF marine band.
If the WSPR 'enthusiasm' phase lasts, with more and stronger stations operating 24/7 in the narrow 3 kHz segment which is the 600m band then I guess it may be time for me to QSY.

73 Chris G3XIZ

Dear Chris, LF group
Congratulations for such a remarkable achievement. it just happend that few days ago i  also had my red-letter day
  but it was my FIRST  cross-band qso on 600 meter with Mal,  G3KEV .
Well, in some way, kind of similarity with respect to the  time stamp of those red-letter days  and what a BIG difference  in the number of qso , hi :)

acoording to the wspr issue...  the MF band  ( not to mention the 136 khz )  due to the official regulations  with respect to the ERP  power as well as due to the small efficiency of  antenna systems is  regarded as a  'weak signal band' so , it is not surprising  that modern digital communication techniques  with very efficient coding  come into play.. it must be noted, that wspr gave ( and still does) enormous information  about propagation issues , really sets the 'limits'  of TX pwr where one can detect (positively decode information) thousands km away ( it is remarkable ,btw)  Also, it allows greater number of   hams to be  active in some way on this band.
In my opinion, one should also realize  that  behind all those  'weak signal mods'  there is a beautiful piece of mathematics involved. Of course, there is a price for it. - it is not a qso -like mode contrary to CW or qrss(n)  Personaly, i would welcome more stns working/beaconing qrss(n) where the possibility of making  qso contact is obviously greater. i did make qso with Mal because i saw/heard him in a qso mode. I also believe that as the time progresses and more countries are allowed to work on this band  there will be more live contacts on 500 kcs so Chris  DO NOT QSY   and for the time being we must all agree on  this some sort of coexistence between  qso-like  and non-qso mods on  lf/mf bands

                                                                                                     73 de  Piotr, sq7mpj
qth: Lodz /jo91rs/