RE: LF: WSPR a QSO mode not just beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: WSPR a QSO mode not just beacon
From: "James Cowburn" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:39:57 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Roger/LF

The discussion at the RSGB meeting noted the ARRL’s position that essentially if two stations make WSPR reports with each other and this is confirmed by QSL or sme other approved method then there has been a two way exchange of call sign, report and other info e.g. locator and that qualifies as a QSO for DXCC purposes.

As you can imagine this was a little contentious to say the least with a lot of head shaking and muttering under breath from portions of the audience and nodding and smiles from others.

I for one am not an avid DXCC chaser but for my own view I consider my 2 way reports as QSOs.

As Rik says the WSJT programme has a QSO mode in WSPR but I found it hard to set up and also you need to have someone listening for the transmission so for simplicity I stay with WSPR.

I’ve downloaded WSPR2 but I think I am being a luddite as I prefer the older version!   (Hence my steadfast avoidance of Vista and W7!)

Drop me a note if you fancy a CW QSO sometime and also we can try WSPR on 136.   Chris XIZ has kindly offered to help me with the loan of coils and varios for 136 so I can get on that band.  We are going to try for a 6m/600m x-band CW QSO with his home brew 6m rig!

With best regards

Jim

Dr. James Cowburn

26 Birch Close

Broom

Biggleswade

Beds

SG18 9NR

T +44 (0) 1767 600522

M+44 (0) 7967 300152

E [email protected]

The information transmitted is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you must not read this message.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  Consequently, this email is not intended to be contractually binding.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender, return the message as well as its attachments and delete the whole from any computer.