LF: N-turn TX Loop

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: N-turn TX Loop
From: Piotr Młynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 01:19:14 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Dear  LF group,
I would like to put for your consideration the issue of
multi-turn transmitting loops. Have you ever done such an experiment on LF ?
This sunday evening i decided to do some simple math and it turns out
that such a N-turn TX loop should work ( at least on the paper)
The radiation resistance is proportional to the square of so called "effective height" and this last term can be easily derived for a loop i.e. it is equal to 2*pi*A*N/lambda where A denotes area closed by a loop a N is the number of turns so the radiation resistance for a single turn loop reads as 320*pi^4*A^2/lambda^4 For the N-turns the radiation resistance obtained for a single turn is multiplied by N^2. Ok, the R (ac) is increased as we increase N but this is linear with respect to N
and therefore we should have  gain in the radiated power.
(there is an implicit assumption made: the loop is "small" i.e. the current is constant)

i did some calculations: assumed TX power ( and later, perfect match to the loop) 200 Watt environmental loss: 1.5 Ohm, diameter of the wire d = 3 mm, rectangular shape of the loop
i.e 10 meters by 20 meters ( less optimal than square or circle )
so A = 200 sq.m For N =1 (classical tx loop) we get R(AC) = 0.62 Ohm
( Rac formula taken from ARRL Antenna Handbook, f = 137.7kHz)
radiation resistance RRAD = 55.5 microOhm,  total R loss = 2.12 Ohm,
efficiency is 0.0026% and radiated pwr 5.2 miliWatts, I = 9.7 Amp.
Next, I took N =3 so the wire length is changed from 60 meters to 180,
everything else was kept the same and now one gets: R(ac)= 1.85 Ohm so R loss = 3.35 Ohm RRAD = 499.5 microOhm, efficiency increased to 0.015% and radiated pwr abt 30 miliWatt, I=7.7 Amp
I am sorry bothering you but i simply would like to learn
where is the 'catch' here - if there is one ...
I guess the assumed loop i.e. 10 by 20 mters is 'reasonable' as TX antenna
i took these values after reading the article about
WD2XES first TX loop: 40 feet by 65 feet - well , almost the same dimensions.. :)
From practical reasons the N values will likely be small , say, 2 or 3
but as the above numbers show maybe it is worth doing it.
73 de Piotr, sq7mpj
qth: Lodz /jo91rs/