LF: 500kHz propagation

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 500kHz propagation
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:44:39 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Over the past days I monitored the G4JNT WSPR beacon 24/24.
During daytime I have a weak but consistent copy of Andy's signal, average -24dB with ups and down of some dB. During nighttime the signal is -10dB on average, with the usual deep QSB (peaking -1dB, dips down to -20dB). But the most interesting observation is that in the afternoon the first peaks (from -24dB up to -8dB) occur as early as 15:45 UTC. This is almost 1 hour before sunset (16:37 UTC) and almost 1.5 hours before the D-layer (at mid point) goes into darkness.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T