Re: LF: Re: WSPR beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: WSPR beacon
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 13:57:17 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Dave,

I think the signal level V signal quality may be a major factor, Gary is quite close to me and as he mentioned doesn't always decode my signal, contrary and oddly my off line monitor (ft897 with 20 feet end fed floating vertical to the chimney stack) produced reliable decodes all night ... capturing Gus and Jim in the quite windows and my signal with a 'huge' red centre line and 50% of the window green ..

But from last winter, I think it was determined that the clock speed of the audio card was the main factor, various posts on the user group did tend to confirm this, but seems to date there no provision for a correction factor.

Following this , it looks like the 'less is more' syndrome applies, with missing a percentage of the sync 'pulses' resulting in a reliable de-code where as a 100% decode may fail, perhaps due to some form of 'quality check' in the package ?

Last night I ran two separate stations , with tx/rx from one pc and the off air decode from the second, the decodes from the ft897 showed Jim and Gus Dt to be similar to the reporting data base , where as my tx was showing 1.5 dt .. both pc's share the same radio network and where running the Dim-4 software, (Note Johns comments re d4) so with in the same qth, same web link there was a displayed error of 1.5

was this error recorded by other stations ? , the dt is not shown on the web data base

73- G ..