LF: Re: WSPR beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: WSPR beacon
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:09:14 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I have just been doing some more tests on 30m. Clock errors might well
have been part of the problem. Initially on 30m the few decodes I was
seeing were showing a DT of over 3s, so I had a play with the dsec
setting, and setting that to -3.5 brought me rather more spots with DTs
around 0. I noticed at that time that my computer clock was indeed
around 3secs out relative to MSF, but that doesn't tie in with when I
was listening to Jim earlier when it was no further than 0.5s
different, even after an internet resynch. Surely my PC clock didn't
drift 3s in a couple of hours....

As to strong signals failing to decode, thanks for the information. I
am using the built in sound chip on the motherboard, and as you know
these are always a bit ropey, so it may be the reason. I have another
problem at the moment, in that I have just fitted a fixed level audio
output connection to the K2 and I think I have got its level a bit high
- I have to set the input level in WSPR to virtually zero to get around
0dB input. I shall be turning it down a bit next time I have to go
inside the K2.

It does look as if some aspects of WSPR are a bit finnicky though, not
too impressed myself but if it means you are spotted in AA1A land it is
obviously serving a good purpose. But for working Hatfield from
Bracknell I guess there are quicker ways...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com