Re: LF: Loop discussion

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Loop discussion
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:23:53 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=1WZEPxaZolky/qhWFZrDMSU74F+devB/mg6VLhGg5PzMpp7uOm+csFElZy89jFTkJK5uVDf6pzkmyD1lkKEhZvy/RU8i58P1RtlMjG9o1zPD/DezJ6ej97261S2SjArZU89/NTEy+6bm9nrpT3j5J60zAm/JfbCmbOAEw7fc5xc= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Ha-Jo, LF Group,

The beauty of a large wire loop of several m^2 is that a high signal level is produced, making tuning and matching non-critical, and so it is a very simple and versatile antenna which works well over a wide frequency range. My version of an outdoor wire loop tunable in the shack was the "Lazy loop" - see http://www.wireless.org.uk/lazy.htm

When you are trying to make a much smaller loop with essentially the same performance, design is more critical due to the lower signal power available from the loop, so the technical details need to be studied, and the solution has to be more closely defined. But the end result is still simple - a single turn loop, a transformer, a preamp. In the case of the bandpass loops, a few inductors and capacitors do impedance matching and define the passband. It is worth going to this trouble, because a compact, portable, easily rotated loop that does the same job as a much bigger antenna is a useful thing to have.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: <[email protected]>