Re: LF: Loop discussion

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Loop discussion
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:48:35 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Ok JB

The loop is a equilateral triangle 'flat', running about 90 feet above the sea level , each side is 200 feet , with the feed at the apex of the south - east side, opposite is the 'base' running approx , north east /south west. Total cable length just over 600 feet , 35 amp insulated mains cable was used, as we had a roll and it keeps the salt spray off the wire

The voltage build up seems to be more of a problem with the loop, not sue as to the final pd , but it gives a good flash and already has sent one chap across the room .and that was on a fine sunny day ... the wire to the light house, 680 feet, is still in place .. amazingly ... doesn't seem to have the same static build up problem .. still charges but no where near as much

The main use of the loop to date has been tx/rx on the HF ham bands fed from a balanced tuner and rx on 500, with one end grounded and the other direct to the rx ... this produces quite a high level of noise, next is to try a small tuner with loop coupling to float the array . We have not yet transmitted on the loop at 500 but the rx tuner should handle the 50 watts so we can take a signal reading at G4WGT grabber. The marine tx is looking for a very low Z feed so any Ae coupling tends to be step up , the long wire is tuned with a parallel tuner , sort of 160 mtr fashion.

We did initially try a conventional loaded vertical system, however as the Fort is 1000's of tons of sandstone rock it was difficult to tune the system with 'no' earth as such , the loop was installed to take its place, then we found that the lighthouse was owned by the owner of the fort ...one of those 'oh that's handy moments' http://uk500khz.googlegroups.com/web/gb4f.jpg

73 - G ..