Re: LF: RE: SSB-Beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: RE: SSB-Beacon
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 17:34:42 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Rik,

Ok on the  fade patters, yes noticed that in the early  days , 100 hz made a big  change in signal , one of the reasons  for  using  25 or 85 hz shift on rtty

If Gus has something like 'soundforge'  could  alter the spectrum of the  modulation to make up for the losses lh/hf ,

to flatten out  the pa , that may need some feed back or  something similar to  reduce changes in phase , easer to beep not speak hihi

G ..

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:11 AM

Gus, Dave, Graham,

I guess even the Q of the antenna can attenuate the low and/or high tones.
In theory with a SSB bandwidth of 2.7kHz and a operating frequency of 505kHz a Q = 180 would cause a 3 dB attenuation at the ends.
But from my experience results could even be worse: Although the Q of my antenna is only 50 I notice a significant power reduction if I tune the antenna mid-band (502.5kHz) and QSY to one of the band edges without re-tuning. I assume that the PA is rather "allergic" to a even rather small reactive part of the load.
In addition the fading on 500 can indeed be very frequency-selective. During Graham's 3 mode test I could notice different QSB patterns between the 3 signals (that were only some 100 Hz apart).

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T