Re: LF: JA ops

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: JA ops
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 22:51:55 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Laurence,
It takes time and experience to learn how to get any sort of signal from very electrically small antennas and there has been very little information in Japanese on this subject. I recall when working with Mike G3XDV at the RSGB we waited in vain for articles on LF after NOVs were issued in 1997 for 73kHz. From the pioneering work of G3XDV, G2AJV and G4JNT (to name but a few) signals only started to be heard on the band six or seven months after the NOVs were issued.
This should soon change.
I have been working with Taizo Arakawa, JA3AER to produce articles on the subject in the Japanese magazine CQ Ham Radio. The first one was a general interest article '136kHz in the UK and Europe', published in April 1999. Because the release of the 136kHz to Japanese amateurs was imminent I was asked do write a practical 'How to get started on 136kHz'. This was published in CQ Ham Radio May 2009. This also tended to be rather broad and general so a more detailed follow up article on the problems of using an electrically small antennas and the design of loading coils has been submitted. I can put copies of these articles on my web site if anyone is interested but I guess I will first have to get the permission of the CQ Ham Radio editor.
The Japanese call this new band the 135kHz band.

Regards

Peter, G3LDO
Ive asked Hiroshi for more details and passed reflector and info sites - fyi 73 Laurence KL1X in windy BY3A
From: ja3vqw Hiroshi
Hi Laurence
Thanks for your e-mail.
Yes, I got license form the department of Telecom in JA ( Sohmu-sho) last month. I make CQ many times everyday around 1200 UTC but I have not got QSO with any station.
I guess there a very few licensees in JA ob 136KHz.
So if you find my signal please QSL me.
My TX is modified IC-731 output 25W.
The antenna is long(short?) wire 25ms long.

<http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_QuickAdd1_052009>