Re: LF: Re: Re: First Portable Trip

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: First Portable Trip
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:12:17 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

From: "Richard Newstead" <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:45 PM
To: <[email protected]>

mal hamilton wrote:
Jim
I did not say an inv L virtually lying on the ground as in Richards
case(1 METRE ABOVE GROUND), this is more like a beverage antenna.
This is all very interesting. I have spent an hour in a darkened room
contemplating suitable antennas (well not quite). Comments from experts
welcome:

1) T antenna. Am I right in thinking that in the classical T
configuration, the horizontal part of the aerial is only there to add
capacity - i.e. it makes no contribution to the groundwave?

..........Yes

If so, I
assume that I can use very thin wire for the T?

.........No , depends on thin, but I sqr R losses and skin losses will be high

2) In the more likely configuration with "horizontal" wires actually
acting as an inverted V can I still use very thin wire without reducing
performance?

...... As above

3) Is there any benefit to be gained by having an inductor at the top of
the vertical section of the T?

........ I would say Yes , I use a top loading coil on my inverted L with 2 wire horizontal capacity section , A centre mounted coil , when modelled gives slightly more gain

If so, will the loss of the inductor be
relevant if the part of the antenna above it (the T wires) don't
contribute to useful radiation?

......... would depend on the coil , I use 40 turns of insulated 35 amp mains cable on a 4 inch former .. no idea of the losses but the system seems to radiate ,,,,,, assume the only losses could be dielectric losses or I sqr R , but with a heavy cable and polycarbonate former , I don't expect much ...... you are making a series acceptor cct , max I should be a the coil/cap section junction , which will be the highest point .

73, Graham .,.

NB I looked into the portable antenna (for use with a handy fence) and found that a 'arrow shape' or drooping T , with 10 mtr vertical section (fishing pole) with sloping top section looked to give a reasonable performance, however , once the ends of the arrow , dropped to 6 feet or less , the radiation pattern and the performance became much reduced .. can only assume it was the capacity of the end wires to earth

73

Richard
G3CWI