Re: LF: Re: Re: First Portable Trip

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: First Portable Trip
From: "Dennis" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:57:00 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Richard!

I'm interested in Your /p antenna discussion :)

> 1) T antenna. Am I right in thinking that in the classical T
> configuration, the horizontal part of the aerial is only there to add
> capacity - i.e. it makes no contribution to the groundwave? If so, I
> assume that I can use very thin wire for the T?

Well, as far as I understand antennas, the horizontal wires are part of the
electrical length of the antenna. There will be current flowing into these
horizontal branches, hence in any case losses will occour there. Another
question is of course: How big these losses are, and if the additional losses
are better, than not climbing your hill due to a too-heavy antenna?

>From the "meeting point" of the vertical and horizontal parts, the horizontal
>currents are fed into opposite directions, so if both horizontal wires are
>exactly the same length, height, over similar ground, no houses and other
>wiring disturbing the fields, ... , (lets call it "free space" like antenna
>books do ;)  ) , the radiation of the horizontal parts cancel out each other
>at some distance, pure vertical polarization remaining.

> 2) In the more likely configuration with "horizontal" wires actually
> acting as an inverted V can I still use very thin wire without reducing
> performance?
Anyone with simulation capabilities out there?
Remember, that as others just said, sloping horizontal parts do reduce the
effective antenna height and decrease efficiency. So 4 (or 6) shorter wires may
act better than 2 longer wires.

> 3) Is there any benefit to be gained by having an inductor at the top of
> the vertical section of the T?
I've read somethere: Yes it is, because lower current -> lower losses, even
though the coil has to be bigger (may be mechanical problem?)

> If so, will the loss of the inductor be
> relevant if the part of the antenna above it (the T wires) don't
> contribute to useful radiation?
Yes, relevant. Again, although horizontal polarization cancels out at least "in
free space", there is current flowing up there.

73
Dennis
DL6NVC
Berlin

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss