Re: LF: 136 kHz - Nostalgia

To: Chris Osborn <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136 kHz - Nostalgia
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:57:24 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
There are two main reasons for the decline in activity on 136kHz.

Firstly, most of those interested in experimenting at low frequencies
have migrated to 500kHz. This is exactly what happened to 73kHz when
the 136kHz band was opened up.

Secondly, the increased sideband noise from utility stations either
side of the band (see DF6MN's grabber to see what I mean)
has dramatically reduced activity from central Europe, particularly
Germany, which was responsible for encouraging other Europeans onto
the band.

There is still activity on 136kHz from far off parts, such as the USA
and Russia and it is to be hoped that some of those who have gained
experience on 500kHz will eventually rise to the challenge of DX on
136kHz.

In the meantime, I am active most weekends on CW and QRSS, and am
available for skeds most days.

Mike., G3XDV