LF: Plug and Play is here to stay

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Plug and Play is here to stay
From: "dave.riley3" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:09:13 -0400
Cc: "600MRG" <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
QRZ 600 Meters ( 137 kc ) ( lowfer )  ( all mode )

Home brew doesn't get any easier and all the heavy lifting has been done for us...

Here is that 50khz. to HF transverter that started out as a thought which has since been updated...
First a trip to the junk box and here is what happened...

www.radiocom.net/600M/TxVerter2.jpg  If you heard me since early 2008 then this is the chain I was using...

It's a bit crude but it ran on the bench here and never failed in a year...

Now it was time to clean things up a bit and here is what it looks like now...

There is still plenty of room inside that would have allowed construction in a case less than 1/3rd the size...

You see the green LED which means that the internal ni-cad is powering the 10mhz. clock oscillator...
By shutting this off the external 10mhz. LO then supplies GPS 10mhz. clock input to the mixers...
The internal oscillator was installed in case portable ops became possible and a total drain of 35ma. assures many hours of operation, else NO power is required...

The only modification I made to the IC-706 was to cut the B+ to the final which then made for almost 10 milliwatts output while in transmit...
Just lucky on that one I guess but it should work well from any 'transverter' port in a modern HF rig...
I use 10 mhz. IF just to keep the numbers easy and that is what I have for accurate LO availability...

The mixers and filters were replaced from the prototype of the first example with Mini-Circuits ADE-6 double balanced mixers which work very well from .05 to 250 mhz...
The Low Pass filters are Mini-Circuits LPF-BOR6 for the 600M and below version...
The power splitters from the IC706 RT port and the 10mhz. LO are Mini-Circuits ZX10-2-12...

Who wants to wind coils and solder stuff @ this stage???

73s from Lazy Dave - AA1A - WD2XSH/17

* a similar transverter worked well @ 10ghz. and also @ laser, so I guess the IC-706 is good from virtually DC to light...