Re: LF: WSPR beacon on 136kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR beacon on 136kHz
From: John P-G <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:18:35 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Dave, LF,

136kHz hasn't really interested me before, but I've been quite
successful in RX mode on 160m & 500khz, due to the favourable RF
environment up here in the wilds.

I wanted to see how I got on with 136, receiving, and WSPR is such a
useful tool for observing conditions. Jim's beacon is a handy source
for testing RX antennas!

I haven't really considered transmitting, as I really struggle for
vertical height for antenna supports. There are no trees or other tall
structures and in the severe gales we get here I'd really need to
engineer something substantial, and to be honest there are other things
I could be spending time and money on...!

My short fibreglass pole is a handy sky hook for short, experimental RX
antennas, but to get an efficient radiator for 136 is perhaps a step
too far for me.

Sorry to disappoint the DX hunters!

Cheers,

John