Re: LF: WSPR beacon on 136kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR beacon on 136kHz
From: John P-G <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:48:47 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Jim, LF,

Thanks for running the tests. Interesting results. Much slower QSB than
I expected.

I found no improvement using a tuned pre-amp, so left it out of circuit
from about 2300.

I've just done some MDS tests on my R75 using various combinations of
external and internal pre-amp. It appears that the external tuned
preamp is of about the same MDS improvement as the internal "pre amp 1"
setting - the MDS is then (feeding in via a few antenna switches and a
h/b 500kHz LPF) -129dBm. The R75 with no pre-amplification measures
-124dBm. The R75 internal "preamp 2" improves the MDS to -133dBm, but at
the expense of perhaps linearity problems.

IPO MDS = -124dBm
IP1 MDS = -128dBm
IP2 MDS = -133dBm

IPO + external tuned pre-amp MDS = -129dBm

I suppose the tuned pre-amp might be beneficial at reducing the
amplitude of any intefering strong carriers, so in the real world it
may be worthwhile.

I'll leave the WSPR running in RX mode today, on the off chance that
someone else might have a go during daylight hours. Dial freq. 136.000,
USB mode with a 250Hz IF filter, centred on 1500Hz (137.500 carrier)

Cheers,

John