Re: LF: RE: RE: WSPR beacon on 136kHz - QRT

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: RE: WSPR beacon on 136kHz - QRT
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:44:08 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Dave,

Except from trying WSPR (the standalone GUI version) a few times on shortwave and LF, I can only tell you that.. - it's very important to sync the local PC time accurately - but sure that's not the problem here - the soundcard's sampling rate may be a problem: The WSPR GUI uses 12000 samples/second, which is a bit exotic, and some soundcards/drivers have a problem with this (and deliver a inaccurate sampling rate which causes problems in WSPR) - the receiver's frequency drift must be low enough (a Hz per 2-minute interval already degrades decoding). Not a real problem unless your receiver is a converter, moving the LF signal to a higher shortwave frequency (I've seen a signal on 30 or 40 meter from italy, which was very strong, but almost unreadable due to the drift)

Does Jim's signal draw a "red" stripe on the WSPR spectrogram (I think it should) ? If not, the audio level may be too low.

HTH, cheers,
  Wolf .

Dave G3WCB schrieb:
Hi Jim, LF.
Sadly no decodes from M0BMU or DF6NM on 136 last night.
M0BMU was clearly audible and was showing on the waterfall display.

I'm using WSPR 1.01_r1023, and it worked fine on 500kHz the other day.

Am I doing something wrong? (well, yes, obviously, but what!)

73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM