Re: LF: First Linear data qso G4WGT / G0NBD

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: First Linear data qso G4WGT / G0NBD
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:02:52 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=VmuXhu3FSOdfu81Lp6SYiR8vP3H809Uhfez0nLLitK8=; b=k+CqmyIY1skwKqZs/j4wt1olfp93zD+3VEL6nfE+cbt6LVjYQtu2fwgdrQsx7HJJkI WEX6QjoO0F0WJshSyUzRnTjrs7gE8kEDlgf4LUPmUQNEDWgx04WpBjq1Hudlb8Uv1CcW h312XOJRCXUSoLGsM2IWNbA+wGPnewy4Qk8Fg=
Sender: [email protected]
My NoV for 500kHz came through yesterday, authorising  0dBW ERP, modes
FSK, PSK, MSK and TBD just as I'd asked for.   It also allows ASK, but
didn't specifically request that :-)

This morning got the 7m Tee antenna resonant using an old Decca
variometer with a few more turns added, and made a 550kHz Low Pass
filter for the Tx.   Have just now tested the Tx + ant at 120 Watts RF
from a commercial 0.5 to 40MHz broadband PA and all works fine -
apologies to anyone who saw the carrier at 503.0000000kHz for a few
minutes at 1430z.  I couldn't modulate at that point.

Antenna measures 28 ohms loss resistance at a first quick look, but
I'll measure more accurately when the weather is a bit warmer / drier!
  If that is the figure, then efficiency will be in the region of -25
to -23dB and with the PA wound up to maximum rate dOP of 200 Watts
should get within a few dB of the power limit.    Loss resistance of
that antenna follows a steady progression with frequency :

73kHz     200R
137kHz   100R
502kHz     28R
1900kHz   18R

That is, of course, total loss resistance including the wet tree and
roof tile lossy-near field effects.

Next stage is to complete the IQ converter direct from soundcard
output.   I'm trying to come up with a simple design that won't need
much tweaking to get a decent sideband isolation.  Last week tried a
design with a pair of NE602 chips (similar to FIgure 3 in
http://www.g4jnt.com/IQConverters.htm   but it needed too much phase
and amplitude adjustment to get the unwanted isolation to an
acceptable -40 to -50dBc, so not really suitable for publishing.   Now
going to try one based around FST3126 bus switches - near enough a
Softrock in reverse.

For transmitting on the band I do already have a suitable upconverter,
Fig 1  in the above reference, but that is over complicated for a
plug-and-play construction project and uses obsolete chips.

For soundcard data modes, with an audio bandwidth of no more than a
few hundred Hz, a simple CR  I/Q network  will generate the quadrature
drive to the image reject converter.  For wider B/W, a more complex
polyphse or allpass network is needed.

Of course, if only the datamode software authors could only be
persuaded to modify their code for I/Q stereo outputs, it would make
linear upconverters direct to RF a whole lot easier!   Come on
writers, its only a few lines more code!

So,  nearly there with linear Tx, and an NoV that permits any mode
within constraints of "reasonable bandwidth"

Andy  G4JNT
www.g4jnt.com