LF: Re: Razor blade RX

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Razor blade RX
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:27:24 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=myY62iAR4+fEYQzlr5/ZbhA4sbYz6ExV56k7sEL50j4Y2iX6aCtkC9H/FVlVDV0oUj42I5JFLYfytIy7lm30VuVOVvl5qwd/lquL5QWZjbivVP55O3E83er9JEbM2mo0niegf799trHWWJUHnC0U7WGmMg7OYV8OgMekHpavP3U= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Mal, LF Group,

Searching on Google under "razor blade radio" or "foxhole radio" will give you a few thousand detailed descriptions...

The use of similar kinds of metal-on-metal contact as a radio detector was known a long time before WWII - For example, J.C. Bose, who did much early microwave work in the 1890s, used this kind of detector (see http://www.tuc.nrao.edu/~demerson/bose/bose.html ).

I used to play around with this kind of thing when I was a kid - the problem was getting hold of the right kind of razor blade. The ones I could get had some sort of insulating coating on them and didn't seem to work. Apparently, WWII era razor blades didn't have that. I did get it to work with various other odd bits of more or less oxidised metal - I found the trick was to get the "cat's whisker" to touch very gently against the metal surface, but of course this was horribly fiddly. I rapidly came to the conclusion that diodes were easier to come by and worked a lot better - I suspect the same will be true even after WWIII... and you still need to find the headphones!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>