LF: Re: 500 Khz modes

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 500 Khz modes
From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:19:19 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Well said Mal

Telegraphy
Greek
Tele 'far-off'  graph  'writing'
Morse code actually is less 'telagraphy' as the end result does not by default get written (by competent cw operators at any rate)
Some definitions:-

Concise Oxford English
A system or device for transmitting messages from a distance.

Webster's
1. Communicating at a distance by electric transmission over wire.

Wikipedia (referred to by Webster's)
Telegraphy is the long distance transmission of written messages without physical transport of letters. This definition includes recent forms of data transmission such as fax, email, and computer networks in general. (A telegraph is a machine for transmitting and receiving messages over long distances, i.e. for telegraphy.)

Radio telegraphy   see above but omit wires

seems to me that the generally accepted use of the term does not restrict the user to Morse code
I eagerly await the large increase in WSPT transmissions now that this is cleared up

:<))
Mark GM4ISM