Re: LF: QSO MODE

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QSO MODE
From: Clive Whelan <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:22:40 +0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eb2F1RgpbvsXCqliZBfMlU6gsXotJlaxta3UtT7pDNiRY47ouIK0/81c2ypXddKdMEfvjjrnaaS98CM1Sr1XbAqKCBjsH5n5c8xA6m9EAwPP6rhMbXDoYnvHcMmnW7GDDagy1ywEtU7EIpF3VseDHl5ZEHox2bfrVMAMThBiack= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Mal is dead right! Amateur radio is about exchanging information in real time. The rest of it, e.g. beacons QRSS etc are useful adjuncts thereto, but they are merely that.

I was first attracted to 500kHz by hearing the GI4SPE beacon. I then thought I would hear other stations and " real" QSOs, but I've heard NIL. OK so my antenna is pretty poor, but if I can hear and copy GI4SPE at about 539, why can't I hear anyone else? I am frankly not motivated to improve the antenna when there is no real time activity

I am exhorted to get some QRSS software and read the CW off a screen. This to my mind is rather like watching paint dry. Without real time CW readable by human ears the band is of little interest and imo will die.

73

Clive
GW3NJW