Re: LF: AOR 7030 replaced

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: AOR 7030 replaced
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:55:37 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Laurie and the group,

Fortunately, there are alternatives to these new shiny TFT-colour-display-equipped "top class" radios: For weak signal modes, use software defined radios like SDR-IQ, Perseus, etc to name just a few. They are basically digital downconverters with internal high-performance A/D converter, and interface to the USB port directly (no soundcard required). RF and IF gain are selectable (via control software) but not automatic, so ideally suited for weak signal modes.

I think Brian CT1DRP uses the SDR-IQ with the original software, but other weak-signal processing software like Alberto's Winrad, or DL4YHF's Spectrum Lab, support these radio too.

Best regards,
 Wolf .

lawrence mayhead schrieb:
This could be a backward step for those of us using Argo/ Spectran etc to look for weak signals. All DSP receivers including the Icom 756 Pro 111 are not able to turn off the AGC. Hence when looking in a small bandwith usually much smaller than the DSP or even conventional filter bandwiths a strong signal within this larger b/w will de-sensitise the receiver to the extent that the weak signal will be lost. This was the
problem I had in the early days of TA working.
73 Laurie.