Re: LF: RE: Antenna wire

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Antenna wire
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 22:55:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

many thanks to those who replied to my email regarding telephone drop wire.

The material I have is not copper coated steel wire - it looks like copper material all through. The conductors are 1mm diameter and the black insulation is about 1.25mm thick. The pair of wires are 2.5mm apart. I have used it as twin feeder to an OCFD for the HF band to good effect. G3JMG, in an article in RadCom March 1970 noted that BT had their own recipe for the conductors of drop wire: an addition of one per cent cadmium to the basic copper mix. This increased the tensile strength of hard drawn copper by 50% from 30 tons psi to 30 tons psi. This also increased the DC resistance by about 20%.

regards

Peter, G3LDO