RE: LF:RE: RSGB List

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF:RE: RSGB List
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:07:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 21 Apr 2008 at 20:44, [email protected] wrote:

>  Perhaps a new list server will allow more reasonably sized
>  attachments, the 30K or so limit at blacksheep is a
> through back to the very  early days of the net and e-mail!

Yahoogroups is fine for moderated lists, where all new memberships
(but not individual messages) are approved by the owner. But
unmoderated ones are a spammers delight. Yahoogroups own Spamguard
filtering has to be turned off though, it is totally useless with a
high false positive rate - and is unnecessary for a moderated group
anyway. I am on quite a few Yahoogroups and moderator of one, they
work fine.

I would not though personally want a group which routinely sent large
attachments. These are obviously used extensively by a few on this
group but those people must bear in mind that many of us are not
interested. The current 30k limit is a sensible compromise for those
who want to send scans and those who (like me) just delete them.

Note that of the various groups listed on the blacksheep homepage
GQRP is now on Yahoogroups (moderated) and SDUser uses the qth.net
mailing lists. Another possibility is Googlegroups, but I have no
experience of that and some have the same sort of reservations about
Google as they do with Yahoo. And there are less well known ones -
for instance Opera run a similar system at
http://my.opera.com/community/groups/

Whatever happens it obviously needs somebody to organise and run it.
It may well be that blacksheep will continue to meet our needs apart
from a few occasional glitches for some time to come..

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com