Re: LF: Linux (was Re: [500] GM4SLV Grabber)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Linux (was Re: [500] GM4SLV Grabber)
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:52:58 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Warren and group,

I hear many tales about people having "bad" experiences with Vista.

Another of my motivators which I did not stress is the growing awareness that not only the OS but also many apps running in the MS environment are often described as "bloatware" and quite correctly.

It seems as if many of the designers of both the OS and applications are aided and abetted by hardware manufacturers who drive us continually in the direction of faster and faster processors and acres and hectares of memory to achieve often very little. Not everyone needs high-end graphics and game-playing capability! You have to ask yourself whose hand is in whose pocket in those strategies!

And what about environmental concerns? The output of how many power stations is now needed to drive all those electricity-hungry machines playing games of "Dume" (not to mention Glume and Despond :). )

Hats off to those developing the concept of small OPC (One Per Child) laptops (not a coincidence that a flavour of Linux is favoured) particularly for the developing world.

73 de Pat G4GVW es gd dx
Qth near Felixstowe, UK