LF: Re: Keyboard modes for 600 meters

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Keyboard modes for 600 meters
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:39:28 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

John,

From the test's ive carried out , the best mode would be a simple 'arq'
system

Non of the send and forget modes are of any use on 500 as you have no idea if the other end has even seen your signal ,let alone resolved it, that's unless the station is in ground range and then any mode works , full break-in cw is about as good as it gets , some of the multi tone systems give a longer 'clean period' but under qso conditions , require long tx periods to ensure you have covered at least one 'qsb' cycle

With the noise and deep qsb outage's I would think the best mode would be 'amtor on prozac' with a prf of a few seconds , like a case clock

If only some one could write the source code : just replacing the conventional 'fsk' keying with 'psk' . the psk giving about 50 % better accuracy than similar shift 'fsk' and mimic the virtually bullet proof , protocol of sitor/amto but simply calm it down a bit , so it doesn't need a 'tnc' to control the tx/rx windows (bit of a oxymoron that as its windows that causes the timing problems) ... thanks bill ..

This simple narrow mode would simply work at 30 bauds or so and basically sit pinging the other end during the outages till it responded , 'link up' = game on . In a response to a post on the 'multipsk' user site, some one did repy that they where working on a 'psk-arq' system, but I never managed to follow it up ..

Rgds

Graham

G0NBD

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]> To: "600 meter group" <[email protected]>; "Discussion of the Lowfer (US, European, & UK) and MedFer bands" <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 8:20 PM
Subject: LF: Keyboard modes for 600 meters

As many of you know, Jay Rusgrove and I have been running tests on a variety of keyboard modes for use in the 500 kHz area. Our focus has been on modes that work well for casual QSO's and possibly emergency communication. Resistance to noise and fading has been a prime consideration.

While this is a work in progress, I have posted an article at:
http://www.w1tag.com/600M_Modes.htm

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks very much to all who have participated in the tests!

John Andrews, W1TAG / WE2XGR/3