Re: LF: Re: Keyboard modes for 600 meters

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Keyboard modes for 600 meters
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 01:58:17 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Fine John,

Yes, every little helps  !

That true, you can communicate over quite a range using 'fec' the navtext on 518 prints well , but as far as I know the published service range is 50 miles for a navtext station , that would fall in with 'our' observations of reliable, fade free, communication range.

The problem sets in outside that range , I have seen good print from my psk signals outside the uk and good results from the Olivia system using 250/16 , showing the transmission medium is 'stable' ie not 'phase disorientating' but notably displaying deep selective fading at carrier shifts over 100 hz , leading to recommending shifts of 85 hz and lower. The redundancy in the 250/16 filling the gap's but still a low date rate, with no indication of actual % reception.

Unless you are experiencing qsb depth and cycle period 'time' considerably less than 'we' have experienced, your still up against the final test , during qsb 'outage times' no signal = no copy,

The time intervals have reduced attempted 'data qso's' to near farce, with resolution periods of only some 10/20 seconds in a 90 second period. An increase in power might slightly increase the 'print window' duration , but is still not proof against the deep fade's

Oddly , I would suspect that 'hf packett' would actually work quite well , where it not for the high bandwidth, conversely the short data burst would actually ensure the bulk of the traffic was transferred in 'one qsb window' , notably the pk232 tnc will allow the baudrate for 'hf packet' to be reduced to 50 , 50 is a bit slow , but 75 or 110 may allow the introduction of the 'missing' arq function , notably it uses a simple two tone fsk transmission mode as dose rtty and fec and as such my be amplified by non-linea means.

G ..

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]>