Re: LF: Re. LF Receivers

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re. LF Receivers
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:31:32 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Andy,

  Thanks for your comments, you are always insightful.   For the record, I made
no comments about a "setup filter" I was merely forwarding an article by Dallas
Lankford.  That said, full A/D overload of -23dBm and a dynamic range of 80dB
may be adequate for low signal environments (I'm told that big MW stations are
rare in the U.K.) but would fare poorly at this QTH which has FIVE 50kW MW
stations with 15kM!

   Back to the AGC issues, Rob Sherwood of Sherwood Engineering has published a
slide presentation on how poorly ALL DSP receivers perform under QRN conditions
due to the DSP handling of AGC:
http://www.sherweng.com/documents/Dayton2007w.pdf

  The new software defined radios offer unique spectrum displays and record
possibilities but the basic radio functions are not up to the specs of a
high-end analog receiver yet though I'm sure that day is coming.

--
73 Warren K2ORS
WD2XGJ     136-140kHz

FN42hi
http://www.w4dex.com/wd2xgj.htm

From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
> [...]
> actually talking about is the down sampling / decimation process which takes
> place in the AD6620 Digital Downconverter chip. (In fact, he actually
> alludes to this right at the end).  It is possible to achieve overload in
> the decimation process even though the arw A/D data is still within its
> linear range.   However, this 'second stage' overload is not real, and is
> caused by an overflow in the maths.  It can be prevented by adjustment of
> the AD6620 gain without any resulting reduction in sensitivity.
>
> I have measured the overload performance of my SDR-IQ and with no preamp in
> place full scale A/D overload occurs at about -23dBm which is consistent
> with his measured figure.
> The dynamic range of approximately 80dB between maximum A/D overload level
> and quantisation noise / A/D spec is just about adequate given that the
> SDR-IQ uses a few block filters on its input which are switched in
> automatically depending on the frequency selected.   He makes several
> observations about strong local signals and lightning strikes which may be
> valid for his special circumstances, but in general I think his measurements
> and his thoughts are rather negative about this receiver.
>
> I believe the Perseus has a similar front end topology, but has a
> greater selection of front end filtering available.  This is clearly better,
> but you get what you pay for - the Perseus costs twice as much as an SDR-IQ,
> you get better input filtering and get a larger instantaneous bandwidth,
> 400kHz rather than 190kHz.
>
> I've used my SDR-IQ to listen on 137 and 500kHz, and much prefer it to the
> RA1792 that was once used regularly on LF.  There was never any sign of
> overloading on the 'IQ, using both an untuned passive 10 metre vertical whip
> or the tuned 137kHz Tee.  Even with the input gain set at +10dB.   For
> a medium cost SDR, its difficult to beat
>
>  However, for* purely LF* use, if I wanted a dedicated receiver and hadn't
> already got an SDR-IQ, I'd probably look at a customised Softrock type.
> With a decent high order Low Pass filter at 510kHz to severely cut off
> medium wave signals (difficult, as the band starts at 540kHz, but a 9th or
> 11th order LPF isn't difficult at this frequency) followed by a decent
> bus-switch based mixer into a high quality soundcard.  Depending on where
> you want to cover, one or two switched crystals can form the LO and you'll
> get more than full band coverage of 500kHz or 137kHz.   The high Q antenns
> used by most stations will go some way to killing off the very strong low
> frequency signals.   In fact as a quick test, a Softrock, with suitably
> rewound coils, an external filter and a new LO crystal would probably do
> admirably.
>
> Andy  G4JNT
>

> On 24/01/2008, K2ORS <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >  Dallas Lankford has just  done an analysis on the SDR-IQ and found the
> > strong signal performance to be wanting:

Follow the Softrock-40 Interest Group for up to date information.

[...]

Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox.

--
Andy  G4JNT
www.scrbg.org/g4jnt