Re: LF: OR7T in eastern Bavaria JN68GN

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: OR7T in eastern Bavaria JN68GN
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:20:35 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
On 29 Jan 2008 22:59 GMT
[email protected] wrote:

> Dear Rik, dr John, and all,
>
> this has been a busy evening also for me!

Hi Hajo & LF,

Yes, it's been a very interesting evening.

Firstly thanks Hajo for the x-band QSO. I chose 3551 because 3533 had a
strong data transmission and 3545 was also busy. I found 3551 to be
better tonight. 3533 often suffers from QRM and usually find a
spot higher up the band (3545 is often okay, but not tonight). Your
30W on 80m was perfectly readable on my K2 even with an antenna only
20m long and < 2m AGL, nailed to a wooden fence!

I find the ability to work full-duplex between MF and HF to be very
useful, so could send continuously on 502.1 and listen for you to report
my signal fading back up and know I could then give your report.

If only I could send and read CW at the same time we could have 2-way
full duplex QSOs!!

Rik's signal was good all evening, never falling in QSB to less than
449. Gus SM6BHZ was VERY strong - S9+ on the meter, with the pre-amp
off! The AR7030 that feeds the grabber now runs with no AGC, in order
that strong signals don't reduce the gain and remove weak signals, but I
found that Gus's signal was overloading the soundcard and I had to turn
the RF gain on the AR7030 down!

I don't know if Gus and Rik eventually exchanged reports, but it seemed
that Gus couldn't hear Rik at all?

Cheers all and well done Rik for a great signal this evening.

John GM4SLV