LF: Re: E-field probes.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: E-field probes.
From: "K2ORS" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:37:41 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 10:04 AM
Subject: LF: E-field probes.

Seasons greetings all.

Does anyone know if the e-field probe can be adatped to HF frequencies?

Some of you will know I am a member of Amsat and we have an opportunity where we could propose a single frequency 29MHz 'SSB' receiver on a satellite.  However, as we will not be allowed a large traditional antenna.  I wondered if I could propose an e-field probe for 29MHz.

Is there any data / design information anywhere which may help make a decision?

Regards

David  G0MRF
Dave

     A while back I came across an interesting HF/VHF  active antenna design by the Naval Research  Laboratory which has dual polarization and is intended for radio astronomy applications:

Also check the following paper:

Design and Evaluation of an Active Antenna for a 29?47 MHz Radio Telescope Array
Ellingson, S.W.   Simonetti, J.H.   Patterson, C.D.
Dept. of Electr. & Comput. Eng., Virginia Polytech. Inst. & State Univ.;

This paper appears in: Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on
Publication Date: March 2007
Volume: 55,  Issue: 3, Part 2
On page(s): 826-831
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia,
ISSN: 0018-926X
INSPEC Accession Number: 9357586
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TAP.2007.891866
Posted online: 2007-03-12 12:44:43.0

Abstract
The eight-meter-wavelength transient array (ETA) is a new radio telescope consisting of 12 dual-polarized, 38 MHz-resonant dipole elements which are individually instrumented, digitized, and analyzed in an attempt to detect rare and as-yet undetected single dispersed pulses believed to be associated with certain types of astronomical explosions. This paper presents the design and demonstrated performance of ETA's dipole antennas. An inverted V-shaped design combined with a simple and inexpensive active balun yields sensitivity which is limited only by the external noise generated by the ubiquitous Galactic synchrotron emission over a range greater than the 27-49 MHz design range. The results confirm findings from a recent theoretical analysis, and the techniques described here may have applications in other problems requiring in situ evaluation of large low-frequency antennas

Happy Christmas!
Vy 73 Warren