LF: Re: E-field probes.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: E-field probes.
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 16:13:12 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello David,

The pa0rdt-Mini-Whip was designed as a low noise reception antenna at LF, because at my location a loop antenna appeared to pick up to much noise.
This type of antenna does work very well at low frequencies, in fact it excels at VLF.
On the other end of the spectrum, reception drops off above 20 MHz, though I have received signals up to 50 MHz.
The frequency response of the buffer amplifier is flat to at least 100 MHz, so this is not the cause of degraded performance versus frequency.

Hajo, DJ1ZB, has done some computer analyses, but his work does not confirm a decrease in performance up to 100 MHz.

The capacitance of the probe and the input capacitance of the FET form a voltage devider for rf.
Theoretical this should also give a flat frequency response; which does not happen in practice.
This might be due to straight circuit capacitances.
A mini-whip with leaded parts has a PCB antenna measuring 30 x 40 mm.
Using SMD parts 22 x 26 mm of copper clad PCB is neccessary for the same signal levels.
This is approximately 50% less.

One solution could be to increase the capacitance of the probe and decrease the gate resistor of the FET.
Doing so the gate capacitance has less impact on the frequency response as it is swamped by the gate resistor.

To be honest, I have not done much work in this area yet, as my main interest is reception at LF.
I have tried some circuits with a very low input capacitance, which yielded an even smaller probe.
Which was not much use in practice.

A combination of a very low input capacitance and a low gate resistor could do the trick.

Best regards,
Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!